PATIENTS could face disruption on Wednesday afternoon while their GPs are taking part in an educational and training session.
Dr Alex Allinson, the chair of the GP subcommittee, said: ‘GP Surgeries will still be open and able to deal with simple queries, book routine appointments, and deal with requests for repeat prescriptions.
‘Practice nurses will also be available.
‘The Department of Health has provided GP cover based from surgeries in Douglas, the south and the north to deal with any urgent problems which cannot wait until the following day.
‘Patients are asked to contact their own surgery, but may be phoned back by a GP from another area.
‘Urgent appointments and home visits will still be available but in the event of a life threatening illness it is recommended that the emergency services are contacted by dialling 999.’
He added that GPs had been working over the last few years with the Department of health to provide a primary care service of high quality which is accessible and affordable.
During this educational afternoon GPs will have presentations from hospital consultants about sermatology and ear, nose and throat problems and discuss the newly set-up early pregnancy unit at Noble’s Hospital.
GPs have been working with their consultant colleagues to try and reduce hospital waiting lists by developing more skills in primary care.
Dr Allinson said: ‘This afternoon will allow GPs to provide a better and more comprehensive service to their patients.
‘We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this meeting, but trust that patients on the Isle of Man recognise the need for on-going GP training and development of services provided by their local surgery.’