NEGOTIATIONS on the future of the Manx Grand Prix are at a delicate stage but organisers the Manx Motor Cycle Club are cautiously optimistic.
That was the verdict after the latest meeting between officials of the club and members of the government’s Department of Economic Development took place on Tuesday.
Club chairman Harvey Garton said it was promising that the parties were talking and things looked more hopeful.
‘There is a lot going on and I am sure we will have more meetings in the very near future,’ he said.
‘We’ve had a free and frank exchange of views and both parties are still talking. We are very hopeful of ending up with something that satisfies everybody – which was always the aim.’
He added discussions were currently at a crossroads so he was very anxious not to say anything which could prejudice them.
The parties had reached deadlock in early May after DED proposals for a shortened event with reduced modern bike classes were released without the agreement of the MMCC, and seemingly giving no regard to the MMCC’s own proposals.
In mid-May the parties agreed to continue discussions but little progress could be made during the TT fortnight.
Meanwhile, the MGP Action Group, an independent group which is unconnected with the MMCC, has been active during the TT speaking to visitors and handing out tee-shirts bearing the ‘Save the Manx’ slogan.
Ali Foster, a founder member of the campaign group, even composed and performed a humorous song appealing directly to Economic Development Minister John Shimmin MHK.
Miss Foster’s latest venture is to send a letter directly to all MHKs telling them she was appalled at the lack of promotion given to the MGP during the TT.
Her letter begins: ‘I would like to express how disgusted I am regarding Government’s complete lack of promotion of the Manx Grand Prix this year. Absolutely nothing was advertised during TT week when we have thousands of visitors over to the island for the purpose of enjoying motorcycle racing who are in the demographic we wish to attract, as well as the people they would bring back with them in the future as word of mouth spreads.’
She suggests by comparison the Ulster Grand Prix received prominent advertising during the two weeks of the TT and ends by saying: ‘This is the first time in my life I have felt so completely ashamed to be Manx thanks to our government’s conduct – it is shameful.’
MGP Action Group chairman John McBride also thought MGP advertising had been conspicuous by its absence. ‘The Ulster Grand Prix was mentioned on Radio TT and there was a count-down to it. But for the MGP, nothing,’ he said.