THERE are fears that the meat plant could lose its contract with Tesco after an inspection by the retail giant raised concerns about auditing standards and the physical state of the building.
As from yesterday (Thursday) the plant has not supplied Tesco.
Talks are under way between the retailer and Fatstock Marketing Association (FMA) to resolve the situation.
But director Pentti Christian said the ball was in the court of the Manx Government which owns the plant and he warned that without investment the facility could close altogether by the middle of this year.
He stressed that the plant fully complied with all food hygiene standards and he praised the work of the staff there.
Mr Christian said the number of staff had been cut by 20 and the FMA was struggling to run the plant with the remaining workforce of just 50.
• More on this story in next week’s Isle of Man Examiner.