Quantcast
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 17491

Union claims suspension is new tactic against Manx bus drivers

Union boss Bobby Morton claims Bus Vannin management is using a new tactic against drivers in the long-running dispute - suspensions.

Unite’s UK-based national officer for passenger transport insisted the sticking point in the dispute was no longer money but that there would be no resolution while the Department of Community, Culture and Leisure insisted on increasing driving time to 4 hours 30 minutes from the original 3 hours 45 minutes.

Mr Morton said he had now been granted a work permit and would be able to visit the island regularly to meeting with staff representatives, with his next trip planned next week to decide on the union’s next step.

He told the Examiner: ‘The only development [since the 12 day strike during TT] has been company coming down heavily with suspensions left, right and centre.

‘We have two suspension at the weekend and there have been others as well. One guy was suspended for being a passenger in a car that was driving slowly in front of a bus, apparently endangering passengers. This is a new tactic on the part of management and it’s intimidation.’

investigations

In a statement, the DCCL said: ‘There are two drivers currently on precautionary suspension whilst matters are investigated. The department cannot make any further comments about the subject of these investigations.’

Mr Morton said he had found it ‘quite bizarre’ that he had to apply for a work permit and claimed he had been ‘singled out for special treatment’.

He added: ‘It was not possible to end the dispute while I wasn’t allowed on the island. I’m aware of many people travelling from the UK to the island to work on a regular basis including engineers from Arriva – and they didn’t require work permits.

‘It was a distraction but I’m back now and intend to keep in regular contact with staff representatives. I’m thinking of coming over next week to decide on the next step.’

Mr Morton added: ‘There was an offer made to our people on the Tuesday prior to the TT races but all they came up with was £450 in lieu of a wage rise. Drivers speak to me regularly and they say this is not about money. Bus Vannin and DCCL can throw as much money on the table as they want but the main bugbear is the 4 hours 30 minutes maximum driving time. While that’s still on the table this won’t be closed.’

He said some drivers were unhappy that they were sent home after the last strike ended. ‘For anyone sent home who wasn’t paid we will put in a claim for unlawful deduction of wages,’ he said.

Some 79 employment tribunal claims have already been lodged by no fewer than 63 bus drivers.

The DCCL insists that changing the bus drivers’ hours is necessary to make the savings needed. It points out that in central London a driver is expected to drive for up to five and a half hours before a break. The four and a half hour maximum includes a 10 minute toilet break.

In a statement it said: ‘It is important to understand that the department is not asking drivers to work longer hours – it simply requires them to spend more of their work time at the wheel. A driving time of 4 hours and 30 minutes is vital for improved efficiency and is in line with Unite the Union’s National Charter for minimum standards in bus driving.

‘The department remains willing to settle the dispute and the offer made to drivers before TT week is still on the table.’


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 17491

Trending Articles



<script src="https://jsc.adskeeper.com/r/s/rssing.com.1596347.js" async> </script>